The phenomena of photochromism and thermochromism can be interesting in various respects for novel interior concepts, especially in automotive interiors, in various respects. As functionality in the sense of information, as an aesthetic aspect in design and/or for individualizing the environment. Against this background, the same questions repeatedly arise from the industry about such chromogenic systems: "How does the color change get into the product?" and "What performance/quality can be expected?"
Neither manufacturers nor suppliers of the commercially available, very specialized dyes can contribute much to these questions, as their answers depend on the specific processes and applications. What is needed is a holistic, conceptual approach that includes all aspects of industrial plastics processing. Accordingly, the TITK has been and is still developing production lines that are basically suitable for automotive applications, for the integration of chromogenic systems, for process design based on the quality standards of the interior and for proving suitability for use in passenger cars.
For various reasons, elastomers are of particular interest in this context.
The work is based both on our own experience with chromogenic systems and on a wide range of know-how and equipment relating to modern, efficient processes for the production of interior components. The ultimate aim of the work is to develop modern, highly productive basic technologies that can be used to manufacture interior components with color-changing elements.
- Nechwatal, Axel; Nicolai, Monika: Current Possibilities for Improving Polymer Photochromic Systems in: AATCC Review 15(1),S. 49-56 (2015).
- Nechwatal, Axel; Nicolai, Monika: Stabilization of photochromic systems – Teil 2: Photochrome Funktionalisierung von Textilien in: Textilplus 2(11/12),S. 11-13 (2013)
- Nechwatal, Axel; Nicolai, Monika: Stabilization of photochromic systems – Teil 1: Modellhafte Untersuchungen an Folien in: Textilplus 2(5/6),S. 10-12 (2013)
- Nechwatal, Axel; Kosan, Birgit; Nicolai, Monika: Photochromic Cellulose in: AATCC Review January/February 2013,S. 51-57.
- Nechwatal, Axel; Nicolai, Monika: Interactions between polypropylene and photochromic dyestuffs in: Polymer Degradation and Stability 96,S. 1648-1652 (2011).
Nechwatal, Axel; Nicolai, Monika: Wechselwirkungen zwischen photochromen Farbstoffen und polymeren Matrices, in: Technische Textilien 54(1),22-24,2011Interactions between photochromic dyestuffs and polymer matrices, Technical Textiles 54(1),E27-E29(2011)