Starting from its textile competence, the Thuringian Institute for Textile and Plastics Research has developed into a modern materials research institute in recent years, which conducts research and development on the basis of natural and synthetic polymers.
Within the research departments
- Native Polymers and Chemical Research
- Textile and Material Research
- Plastics Research
- Functional Polymer Systems
highly qualified and dedicated scientists work on publicly funded research and development projects and numerous projects on behalf of national and international companies.
Research fields are among others
- Synthesis of polymers or additives,
- Characterization, deformation and functionalization of polysaccharides, especially cellulose, and proteins,
- Technical textiles,
- Fiber composites,
- Polymer nanocomposites,
- Polymer electronics,
- Polymer photovoltaics,
- Wet coating processes and
- Photo-, thermo- and solvatochromophoric materials.