The field of activity "Flame-retardant plastics" deals with the modification of mainly thermoplastics with halogen-free and halogen-containing flame retardants and also synergistic mixtures to achieve corresponding flame-retardant polymer properties. The flame-retardant composites can be produced both by extrusion and by using reactive comonomers in the synthesis process (e.g. flame-retardant polyesters). The areas of application mainly include the electrical industry, vehicle construction and the building sector.
- Reduction of the effective amount of FR additive by using nanoscale materials (e.g. organoclays) as synergists with constant fire properties and with the best possible preservation of the mechanical properties (e.g. reduction of the halogen/antimony oxide content to half in flame-retardant PC/ABS blends by using a layer silicate as synergist).
- Use of comonomers with different heteroatoms in polyester synthesis to improve flame retardancy
Plastics Technical Center
- Co-rotating twin-screw extruders (L/D: 52, L/D:40) including dosing equipment for granulates, powders, liquids) and peripheral equipment (drying systems, systems for strand or underwater pelletizing)
- Injection molding machines (2K injection moulding, sandwich, up to 350°C)
Synthesis pilot plant
- 5l- and 10l- autoclaves for polyamides (up to 25bar, max.330°C)
- 2l-,5l- and 10l- autoclaves for polyester (PET,PBT,PTT,PEN and polycarbonate)
- Polymer synthesis plant (e.g. PET synthesis continuously up to 50kg/h or batchwise 30kg/batch based on terephthalic acid)
- Synthesis plant for cast polyamide
- Additive preparation plants (dispersers, wet and dry mills, spray dryers)