Modification of cast polyamides
With regard to cast polyamides, the TITK has decades of experience in the field of activated anionic polymerisation of caprolactam in accordance with established industrial processes.
The studies conducted here include work on polymerisation (catalyst / activator mixture, temperature control, rate of reaction) and tests for incorporating certain functional additives during the polymerisation process (sedimentation behavior, homogenous distribution).
The current objective is to develop an additivated cast polyamide with a high level of thermal conductivity, or to pursue concepts for removing heat, whereby thermally conductive polycaprolactam would be suitable here. Current development activities focus on both micro and nanoscale fillers such as boron nitride (including processing additives).
Additional cast polyamide properties that have already been optimized include flame-retardance, electrical conductivity, and mechanical attributes.
- Dispersing unit (VMA Getzmann Dissolver CV3; up to 6500 rpm, evacuable and temperature controlled dispersion vessel, extended dispersion apparatus)
- Heatable stainless steel casting mold; cavity: 260 x 200 mm; insulated; includes control /temperature regulation (up to 250°C), mixing unit evacuable
- Sheet thickness 2 mm, 4 mm, 6 mm, 8 mm
- Nitrogen blanketing
- Vacuum line (including cold traps)
- Drying unit (vacuum) for pre-treatment of base materials and additives
- Sample preparation (e.g. CNC milling machine) and testing (e.g. LFA 447 thermal conductivity testing instrument)
- Additive preparation (e.g. production of nanoscale additives): wet- grinding and dry- grinding mill, spray dryer